Here are 9 helpful tips to assist you with your social media efforts.
1. Be yourself. Although it is important to be passionate about what you’re talking about or promoting, it’s not what people want to see from you all the time. It’s ok, and actually encouraged, to be a real person who has general conversations with others and expresses their personal thoughts and opinions rather than a user who just spouts out promotional pieces. Be real, be genuine and be engaged.
2. Know what you’re talking about. There is a ton of information available that is easily accessible online about any topic. Don’t go talking about a subject that you know nothing or little about, it will be noticed.
3. Be transparent. Don’t be afraid to give your name, it shows that you’re a real person and not some bot. Also if you’re a business owner, don’t be afraid to share information. It shows that you do actually know what you’re doing and will earn the trust of your online community.
4. Be consistent. Posting frequently can be a lot of work but it is well worth the effort. Keeping readers interested and giving them a reason to check out your blog or website continues to keep people engaged.
5. Add Value. People need to get something out of their time and a reason to listen to what you have to say. Do that by sharing tips, tricks and insights.
6. Listen. Always pay attention to suggestions and feedback that people take the time to give you. It will only make you better at what you do.
7. Respond. If people take the time to ask you a question the least you can do is respond, even if it’s only a few words. Remember, a conversation requires more than just one person.
8. Promote others. Everything is not always about what you have to offer. If you come across something that interests you or that you feel could be helpful to others link to it, bookmark it, re-tweet it and ‘Like’ it.
9. Have fun! If you don’t enjoy what you are doing you can be assured that others will notice. Social media is meant to be just that, social. If you are the type of person who prefers to keep to themselves then social media may not be for you.