Everyday Search Engine Optimization (SEO)Search Engine Optimization - better known as SEO - is on top of the minds of a lot of people. What is it? How does it work? How do I do it? These are just a few of the many questions I get every day on the subject. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine's "natural," or un-paid ("organic" or "algorithmic"), search results. (source: Wikipedia) SEO can be tricky simply because some search engines, like Google, change their algorithms on a regular basis - but by following a few basic rules, your website can get ranked higher on any search engine and keep it there. Offer quality content Creating compelling and useful content will influence the ranking of your website more than any other tips anyone can offer. If people find the content you are providing informative or of value, your audience will be more likely to share what you have to offer through blog posts, social media sites, email, forums, or other means. Believe it or not, the best form of advertising is free of charge: word-of-mouth. Whether through traditional means or social media it is still the most effective way to promote and communicate your content to as many people as possible. Build a better page
- Create pages that are clear and concise so that search engines can easily index them.
- Titles should be brief, but descriptive.
- Descriptions give both users and search engines a summary of a page's content.
- URLs should be kept simple and easy to understand.
- Anchor text is the clickable text within a webpage. Links on your page may be internal (pointing to other pages of your site) or external (leading to content on other sites). Ensure that your anchor text makes it easy for users to navigate your site and for search engines to index your links.
- Images can have a distinct filename and "alt" attribute which is the text that appears if the image cannot be displayed. For example, you can enter “Fruit Bowl” as the alt text for an image of a fruit bowl if it cannot be displayed .
Make use of social media and bookmarking sites to promote material on your site. This helps to drive traffic to your site and increases the incoming and outgoing links connected to your website.Be consistent Consistency with your content should be the easiest component but is often the most difficult. Getting into the habit of consistently creating new content and following the steps mentioned above is best way to ensure high search engine rankings. Make it a priority and do not allow the other tasks involved in your business to interfere. If you cannot write new content for your website you can either share content from other sites that you feel your audience may find useful or consider hiring help with creating your website's content. Please beware of services who promise first page ranking on a search engine, especially if you're in a high competition market like insurance or financial services. No one can guarantee first page ranking without a long, detailed keyword phrase which you could probably obtain on your own anyway if you follow proper SEO guidelines. For more information or to enquire about more technically advanced SEO practices and services, please contact us or view our services page.